I-Cal 4000 HPC Isothermal Calorimeter
How to use an I-Cal HPC calorimeter
I-Cal 4000 HPC ("High Precision Calorimeter") is a 4-channel Isothermal Calorimeter. Like all Calmetrix I-Cal isothermal calorimeter models, I-Cal 4000 HPC features a sample size of up to 125ml, which can be used for multiple applications, including R&D and Investigative work on cement, mortar and concrete properties as well as daily QC needs in cement and concrete production. Variable reference cells make I-Cal 4000 HPC a versatile equipment, making it possible to test cement, mortar and real concrete, or other materials of various types and sample sizes.
I-Cal 4000 HPC's tight temperature control is usitable for tests lasting up to 28 days.
I-Cal 4000 HPC is fully compliant with ASTM C1679, ASTM C1702, ASTM C563 and EN 196-11.
The ambient temperature around the samples is computer-controlled by Calmetrix's software interface, with precision sensors measuring the heat flow generated by the cement hydration reaction. But the I-Cal HPC line of calorimeters distinguishes itself by its clever design to minimize sensitivity to outside conditions. This means more consistent results, but also a robust performance even in a non-air conditioned environment, a definitive benefit in terms of reproducibility, and cost savings for field laboratories or rooms that are not tightly air-conditioned.
I-Cal 4000 HPC is well adapted for applications in R&D and Investigative work on cement and concrete properties, as well as daily QC needs in cement and concrete production. Typical uses are:
• heat of hydration measurement as per ASTM C1702
• detection of potential material incompatibility (between cement and admixtures, etc.)
• admixture formulation
• shotcrete accelerator studies
• sulfate optimization
• sensitivity tests on variations in admixture or other material content
• estimation of compressive strength using heat of hydration curves
• determination of activation energy for thermal crack prediction
• sensitivity tests on temperature variations
• mix design optimization and statistical performance analysis
• test temperatures of more than 50 °C (up to 70 °C), e.g. for studies of delayed ettringite formation
• characterization of supplementary cementitious materials
When to consider an I-Cal 4000 HPC:
I-Cal 4000 HPC is the right isothermal calorimeter for experiments that have the following characteristics:
curing at any temperaure, and up to 70 °C when needed
short and long term test durations, including testing of up to 28 days
Heat of hydration testing as per ASTM C1702