I-Cal 8000 HPC Isothermal Calorimeter
How to use an I-Cal HPC calorimeter
I-Cal 8000 HPC ("High Precision Calorimeter") is an 8-channel Isothermal Calorimeter. Like all Calmetrix I-Cal isothermal calorimeter models, I-Cal 8000 HPC features a sample size of up to 125ml, which can be used for multiple applications, including R&D and Investigative work on cement, mortar and concrete properties as well as daily QC needs in cement and concrete production. I-Cal 8000 HPC's tight temperature control is suitable for short and long term testing up to 28 days.
I-Cal 8000 HPC is fully compliant with ASTM C1679, ASTM C1702 and ASTM C563.
Just like for other Calmetrix I-Cal calorimeters, the ambient temperature around the samples is computer-controlled by Calmetrix' software interface, with precision sensors measuring the heat flow generated by the cement hydration reaction. But the I-Cal HPC line of calorimeters distinguishes itself by its clever design to minimize sensitivity to outside conditions. This means more consistent results, but also a robust performance even in a non-air conditioned environment, a definitive benefit in terms of reproducibility, and cost savings for field laboratories or rooms that are not tightly air-conditioned.
I-Cal 8000 HPC is well adapted for applications in R&D and Investigative work on cement and concrete properties, as well as daily QC needs in cement and concrete production. Typical uses are:
• heat of hydration measurement as per ASTM C1702
• detection of potential material incompatibility (between cement and admixtures, etc.)
• admixture formulation
• sulfate optimization, including quantitative determination of optimum sulfate
• sensitivity tests on variations in admixture or other material content
• estimation of compressive strength using heat of hydration curves
• determination of activation energy for thermal crack prediction
• sensitivity tests on temperature variations
• mix design optimization and statistical performance analysis
• test temperatures of more than 50 °C (up to 70 °C), e.g. for studies of delayed ettringite formation
• characterization of supplementary cementitious materials
When to consider an I-Cal 8000 HPC:
I-Cal 8000 HPC is the right isothermal calorimeter for experiments that have the following characteristics:
curing at any temperaure, and up to 70 °C when needed
longer test durations up to 28 days
heat of hydration testing as per ASTM C1702
need for high throughput (e.g. large test matrixes, material characterization, admixture formulation, etc.)